Welcome to Coffee and Code with me, Dan Vega for the week of Feb 23 - Feb 29, 2020. This newsletter is a little insight into what I was up to this week, things I found interesting and anything on my radar for the upcoming week. If you don't already have one grab a cup and your favorite beverage and let's get to it.
This week I added two new videos to my YouTube channel. If you have been following along I have some big goals for my channel and I have had a lot of fun learning about what does and doesn't work on YouTube. In a surprise to nobody, I have noticed an increase in all the important metrics on my channel over the last month in which I have been more consistent with uploading videos.
So now the only question is how do I get more consistent with limited time to work on it. My goal for March is to upload 2-3 videos and see if this trend continues. If you haven't already subscribed to my channel what are you waiting for 🤔
Spring Boot Java H2 Database Setup in IntelliJ
In this tutorial, you are going to learn how to connect to an H2 database using IntelliJ's database tools. We will start by creating a new Spring Boot application with the Web, H2, JPA and DevTools dependencies. We will learn how to configure the H2 database and provide a schema and seed data. Finally, we will create an H2 file database and connect to it from IntelliJ's database tools.
How to find new and popular vscode themes and my favorite vscode theme
In this video, you are going to learn about my favorite Visual Studio Code theme and how you can find yours. We make a big deal about customizing themes in our IDE and text editors because it's the first thing that we see.
There are so many great vscode themes out there and I am excited to talk about my favorite theme, Synthwave 84. We will also take a look at how to find the most popular, recent and highest rated themes. Finally, I will show you a website that will display popular vscode themes in a thumbnail view so you can easily find a theme that matches your style.
I will have at least two new videos going up this week and maybe a third. In one video I am going to get back to some basics of Spring Boot with a new quick start guide walkthrough. In another, I sat down and recording my presentation from CodeMash, Vue 3: Smaller, Faster & Stronger. As always, If you have any suggestions on videos you would like to see please let me know.
Around the Web
These are things I found cool around the web this week.
- Introducing Java 14 Records
- How To Build A Plugin With Gridsome
- How To Build A Music Manager With Nuxt.js And Express.js
- Hasura raises \$9.9M Series A to simplify GraphQL for developers
- The \$35 Raspberry Pi 4 now comes with double the RAM
- One Simple Thing Big YouTubers Do to Grow (That Most of Us Don't)
- Vue.js: The Documentary
- Scott Tries Whimsical - Flowcharts, Wireframes, Sticky Notes, and Mind Maps
- Enjoy the Vue: Productivity Tools, Workflows & Tabs vs Spaces
- NFJS: Is Java Dead?
- Go Time: Stop the presses
- Tailwind UI Early Access
- How does the Virtual DOM work?
- Heroicons are a unique set of icons for your marketing website that make it easy to customize with CSS to better align to your brand.
- O'Reilly Live Training: Reactive Spring and Spring Boot (Ken Kousen)
- O'Reilly Live Training: Kotlin + Spring Boot Essentials (Ken Kousen)
- O'Reilly Live Training: Practical Go Modules (Benjamin Muschko)
- Tales from the jar side: DevNexus, Null Pointers, and Hunting the Wild Kotlin
- Official Vue.js Newsletter: #176
- Java Weekly, Issue 322
Until Next Week
Thanks for sitting down and sharing a cup of coffee with me my friend. I hope you enjoyed this installment of Coffee & Code and I will see you next Sunday morning. If you have any links you would like me to include please contact me and I might add them to a future newsletter. I hope you have a great week and as always friends...